- Remote or in person
- How to use open and closed questions
- The funnel approach to asking questions
- Getting an admission
- How to test a case theory with your questions
- Common mistakes in deposition questioning
- How to create a useful record
Before the Session
Prepare the Attendees
Send the attendees an invitation for the session. Include this link, which has the videos and exercise they’ll need to prepare.
Watch the videos and read the exercise so you’re familiar with the Hotshot material.
Asking Good Deposition Questions
In-depth look at effective deposition questioning, including open versus closed questions, the funnel approach, strategies for getting admissions, cross-examination, and testing case theories.
Common Mistakes in Deposition Questioning
A look at common missteps when taking a deposition, and how to avoid those mistakes in your questioning.
Tips for Creating a Useful Record
Strategies and tips for asking questions and getting testimony that is clear and usable after the deposition.
Asking Good Deposition QuestionsPDF
During the Session
- What are opened questions? Closed questions?
- Have you ever heard of the funnel approach? What is it?
- How would you try to get an admission from a witness at a deposition?
- What’s a cross examination and how would you use it at a deposition?
- How would you test a case theory at a deposition?
- What kinds of mistakes are commonly made in deposition questioning?
- What are different ways you can ensure your deposition questions create a useful record?
- Anecdotes and war stories (e.g., about a near-disaster or a tough negotiation)
- General practice tips (dos and don’ts)
- Firm-specific guidance and practices
After the Session
Hotshot helps lawyers develop their legal, business, and technology skills through short videos, quizzes, and summaries, and we help law firms and law schools plan and deliver engaging training programs. Our customers include Am Law 200 firms, top law schools, and regional and international firms.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in a free consultation about remote training for your firm.
Log in or sign up at www.hotshotlegal.com.